Alpha Sigma History
Alpha Sigma’s roots began with the CalMedico Club, a fraternal organization of medical students at the University of California (Berkeley was then the only campus of the University), which was formed in the late 1880’s. The group’s Housing Corporation was established in 1900 as the (unincorporated) CalMedico Building Association to raise the money necessary to acquire a house for the club. The CalMedico Club was chartered as the Alpha Sigma Chapter of Pi Kappa Alpha on April 15, 1912, and the founding officers and members were installed the next day. The Alpha Sigma Chapter has never ceased operation since.
At some point after installation the Housing Corporation changed its name to the Alpha Sigma Building Association, and was incorporated without name change on Sept 14, 1920. The Alpha Sigma Building Association purchased the house at 2324 Piedmont Ave in 1920 from the doctor who had built the building as his family’s home years before.